Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bringing New Life To Old Cushions

A friend of mine has a set of outdoor furniture that has older
cushions.  She asked if I'd be willing to recover them.
I'd never done it before...but I decided to give it a try.
My machine does not sew well on thick outdoor fabric, so
we had to work our way around that.

All done!

Rather than cut the top, bottom and the sides and then sew them
together, I used one piece of fabric for each cushion and
wrapped them like a present.

My original plan was to just use safety pins to hold them together (they would all be hidden
on the bottom of the cusion).  However, I wasn't sure how long they'd stay together.
So, I hand-sewed along the back where the fabric comes together and then along the entire edge of the triangle formed when you fold the ends over to the back.  It took a long time (and forced me to use a thimble for the first time!), but I love the results.  The fabric is nice and tight...it's
not going anywhere!

Her husband refinished the chairs....and they have a brand new patio set!

I had enough fabric left over to refinish three pillows.
Here's what they looked like before...

...and after. 
 I had also never recovered pillows, and I was pleasantly surprised to
find out how incredibly easy it is!  I used the envelope method...super simple!

{Back View}
~~~
Next up...more card holders
and the free tutorial!
The photos are taken, the directions are written out, and I'll
post the directions as soon as I put it all together!
Check back soon!

~~~
Shared with:

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've been very busy, I love the cushions!

    ReplyDelete